Contacts

SAMSUNG T5 portable SSD-disk overview. SAMSUNG PORTABLE SSD T5 Review: Top Laptop SSD External Solid State SSD 250GB SAMSUNG T5 Drive

This review is a portable high-speed compact SSD disc from Samsung.
Under the hood:
- 500+ MB / c per read and write;
- 500 GB of places;
- New V-NAND memory;
- USB 3.1 Gen.2 (10Gbps);
- USB TYPE-C connector
- Ability to connect to the smartphone
- Data Encryption (AES 256BIT)
- 7.40 x 5.73 x 1.20 cm and 51 g.

Very expensive, very easy, very fast. 500 GB of space filled with a speed of 500 MB / s and weighing 50 grams.
If you are wondering how progress has come in the field of portable storage facilities, I am waiting for you inside.
At the same time we deal with modern USB standards, if anyone is confused.

Hit!

Shop confirmation

The disc I bought when he was on the flashseile for $ 215, now the price is even lower. How many of them were paid - on the screenshot of the order:

Characteristics

Volume: 500 GB (maximum possible volume of disks of this series - 2 TB)
Speed: up to 540 MB / s Reading and Record
Memory: TLC V-NAND (64 layers)
Encryption support: Hardware encryption by AES algorithm (key - 256 bits)
Dimensions: 7.40 x 5.73 x 1.20 cm
Connector: USB Type-C
USB interface: USB 3.1 Gen.2
Case Material: Aluminum
Impact resistance: withstands the fall from two meters
Weight: 51 g

Volume 500GB I considered for myself optimal: overpayment compared to the 250GB version is not as big as the increase in volume. But the disk on 1TB is already in price, as two to 500, which is no longer cool. Yes, and the color of the discs of greater container is already fresh black :)

Packaging

Packed disc in the usual cardboard box

In the lower end - information about the date and place of production. Surprisingly - Made in Korea.

Inside the box - plastic hard tray with disk and accessories.

The tray is covered with a transparent lid, apparently to create the effect of "Fly I did not sit". Inside everything is laid out in its place.

Instructions are on excellent Russian with guarantee and other joys

He asked the technical support of the Russian Samsung about the guarantees - they said "Shish, you need to buy in Russia." So on this disk I have no guarantees. I will ask in the international support of their opinion, plus, in which case, can ride and without a check.
Let's go further.
Complete shoelaces lie in separate cells, the cords are good. The first is Type-A - Type-C, the second Type-C - Type-C.

The second cable is noticeably thicker.

The length of both wires is 45 cm.
On each of the wires there is a velcro for winding. One of her end is deaf fastened on the wire that does not let these velcro get lost.

Real weight of the disk:

Lace weight:

The disc itself looks like this:

There are models of different colors, more precisely two: blue (like me) and black. In blue color, younger models are made for 250 and 500 GB. The wheels on 1 and 2 TB are only black. For my taste, the blue case looks better, and the scratches will be less visible.
The form is very recognizable - as Power Bank-and Xiaomi.
On the lower end - some information on the disk:

On the top - Type-C port:

Near the port is the LED indicator of the activity of the disk activity:
- Light blue - meals filed
- blinks blue - goes read / write
- Single blinks red - safely removed
The indicator is quite friendly and eye does not emit.
In the lower end - information from the manufacturer.
Top view-bottom:

Everything is very concise and neat. No tinsel.
Safes on the rims removed, the disk will not tear pockets:

Next to Power-Bank-Ami:

Next to the portable HDD of the same volume:

Well - with batteries:

In hand, the disc is almost no felt - very light:

Equipment

- Disc
- USB cable Type-C - USB Type-C
- USB Type-C cable - USB Type-A
- Manual

Some USB knowledge

IN this moment In the field of USB, quite a lot of metamorphosis occurs, as a result of which confusion is inevitably arises in the heads. And not the last contribution to it made marketers.
The bright future is already close - a single connector for powering and connecting almost any devices to each other:

Charge a laptop? - You are welcome
- Connect the monitor to the PC? - Easy
- Pick up the USB flash drive or portable hard disk? - And it can

And all this quickly, comfortable and comfortable. But how? USB Type-C is the answer.

But there is one "but": with such a manifold of functionality, all USB Type-C is the same external. But far from all compatible and make what you need. How so? It's time to figure out.

The main stages of evolution uSB interface I got into the table:

And there are several points that are noteworthy:
1. USB 3.1 gen.1 - It is nothing but renamed USB 3.0, which is even on my motherboard 2011. That is, the standard is already elderly, but on some modern laptops A close-up one is indicated by he, in the hope of attracting the "novelty" of non-commissioning buyers. Either the high-speed flash drives are proudly written USB 3.1 without specifying the version than it can also be misleading.
2. It is B. USB 3.1 Gen.2. There was an opportunity to tie multitasking on USB port - in addition to twice the increased data transfer rate, it became possible to transmit high current and voltage up to 20V, all previous standards in this regard are much more modest.
3. The presence of a connector Type-C. It does not mean support for high-speed USB 3.1 interfaces. And even more so does not mean that the cable with Type-c connectors is suitable for charging a laptop or connecting the peripherals at high speeds.

It is necessary to take into account all - and the characteristics of the connector on the connected equipment and the characteristics of the connecting cable.
What to navigate? Pictograms were invented that manufacturers should "tattoo" next to the connectors for identifying supported functions. Something like that:

SS. - Means SUPER SPEED (5 GBPs)
Numeral 10 - USB 3.1 Gen.2 (10 GBPs)
All this is closed in the battery - support Power Delivery (up to 100 W power through the port)

If the port supports the Display Port functionality, another corresponding logo appears next to:

If the port is "cheap" maximum, it is already becoming the ThunderBolt port 3. with the corresponding designation in the form of lightning and advanced functionality:

And all this - with USB Type-C ports. And it seems to be remembered simple, but one thing to come up with, and completely different - all make these pictograms apply. Few of manufacturers responsibly approaches this issue, and while you do not climb into the datashitis on the device, it is not easy to understand that it is not easy.

What to do? Be vigilant and not choose in appearance.
From me, the "Newest" Council is:
1. Need "classic" USB ports to connect flash drives and hard disks At speeds up to 5gbit / s? USB 3.0 (it is also USB 3.1 Gen.1) with Type-A connector.
2. Need speeds higher - up to 10 Gbit / s? USB 3.1 Gen.2 is suitable with the Type-a or Type-C connector. And the connectors and cable are genuine Gen.2.
3. Need also charging powerful devices? Then you only need a Type-C / Type-C cable that supports Power Delivery, as well as similar connectors on the devices connected.
4. You also need to transmit video on the same cable? Then you need an interface with DisplayPort support or already Thunderbolt 3. and the corresponding cable.

A lot of everything? And there is. And buy to the touch lace with Type-C in the store is fraught with an annoying slip: you can hone in the "modern" cable with Type-C connector, but a speed of 480 Mbps (USB 2.0). What is more than 20 times lower uSB speeds 3.1 Gen.2.
Plus, all without parsing write on ordinary USB 3.0 digits 3.1 interfaces, hinting at the highest speed, while forgetting to indicate that there is Gen.1.

The large plus of Type-C is the ability to use a symmetric cable with the same connectors on both sides - before the lace could not be made symmetrical, since the devices could not distinguish where the "server" and where "client". With the development of technologies, this problem was solved: insert the wire can both be backward.

If you have any questions, write in the comments, we will understand. And now let's return to our SSD.

Inner world

I managed to find photos of the disk insides in the review. With the author's permission, I add a photo of the board on both sides:

Basic part of electronics on board - Controller ASMEDIA MSATA-TO-USB (ASM235CM). The MSATA disk is already connected to it. On the disk board, two 250GB memory modules (K9OMGY8H5A)
Also there is a module DRAM on 512 MB LPDDR3 (K4E4E16-4EesGCE).
I was looking for a chip responsible for hardware data encryption. It turned out that the acceleration of cryptography meets the main sSD controller - MGX S4LN062X01.
Since I was strongly interested in the possibility of hardware acceleration AES256 in this disk, below I spent several tests.
For devices with support for strong cryptography, it is necessary to notification on the import. In the registry, I found my disk model, so there will be no problems with customs.

Tests

In Windows, it looks like this:

Formatted from the factory in EXFAT.
CHIPGENIUS issuance:

SSD-Z:

Check in HDTune. Do not look at the speed here, tested through a working laptop with USB 3.1 gen.1, speeds will be far from maximum, it will be visible below.

As part of its test tests, I used 4 different stands:
1. An old computer with a mat. Gigabyte, which appeared at the dignity of USB 3.0 promotion (NEC controller)
2. SAMSUNG U530 laptop with USB 3.0 (ASMEDIA 1042 controller)
3. Laptop Thinkpad. L450.
4. Laptop Dell XPS 15

1. Test on an old stationary PC C USB 3.1 Gen.1 (PC about 7 years).

Speed \u200b\u200b- bottom.

2. Test on SAMSUNG U530C via USB 3.1 Gen.1

Speed \u200b\u200bis so-so.

3. Test on ThinkPad L450 via USB 3.1 Gen.1

Speed \u200b\u200b- already something.

4.1. Test on Dell via USB 3.1 Gen.1 With the help of a complete cable TYPE-A - TYPE-C

Record speed:

The read speed showed the following result:

The reason is the low speed of the built-in in laptop SSD.. I cite its parameters for order under the arrow

Inner SSD.

4.2. Test on Dell through Thunderbolt 3 Using a complete cable Type-C - Type-C

Recording on the disk:

It did not read reading, since it will be identical to the measurement above - we will rest in the ceiling on the built-in SSD recording.

Encryption

Plus SAMSUNG T5 is hardware encryption support. The encryption algorithm is used persistent - the current standard of de facto and facto - AES. Key length - 256 bits. Great choice.
Plus it is the hardware implementation that for cryptopreforming it is not necessary to spend the resources of the device to which the disk is connected. Well, the recording speed to the disk should not be very dry - the AES algorithm is very well accelerated (as opposed to domestic GOST-A). Check.
For example, I took a high-speed USB flash drive SanDisk Extreme.. It created two partitions - one open, the second encrypted programmatically using BitLocker. Compare the speed difference with software encryption:

Without encryption
With encryption

Now I will do the same test for the unencrypted Samsung T5 (do not look at the maximum speed - only a laptop with a unprecedented controller was at hand, see it on its change):

But the result is measured with an encrypted disc:

No difference.
On the loading of the processor, there is also no significant difference (see Spoiler).

Without encryption
With encryption

With an encrypted disc you can also work with a mobile device on Android - run the program from Play Market., Enter the password and unlock the disk.

Together with Android

The disk is friends with smartphones on Android - connect it with a complete cable Type-C - Type-C and the disk appears in the standard conductor, no application need to access files:

The disk is a lot of food as a difference from HDD and works well: you can copy from the disk and on the disk, watch FullHD video directly from the disk - there is no frieze.
It is convenient: I threw off all the design documents on the disk and went on a business trip. They called, while you are going, say: "The scheme urgently came out, it is very necessary." Get your ssd, connect to the phone and send the desired file. From a mobile phone.
If you want to work with an encrypted disk, you need to download the application from Play Market. The procedure is as follows:
Swing - run - connect - enter the password - we see in the conductor as usual. Copy there - back any files.

The speed of working with the disk in this mode is limited to 30-33 MB / s, smacks the USB 2.0 connector on the phone.
With encryption, without encryption, speed is the same:

Also, my disk earned with the Shanling M1 player in OTG mode. Music plays, no problems arise.

Output

The result is such - if you want to use the maximum speed, which Samsung T5 gives, you need to have a modern PC with a fast disk, an intelligent USB controller, a USB port line 3.1 Gen.2 Type-C or Thunderbolt 3. Otherwise, you will have to limit the maximum no longer for the disk, And for your platform.

Scenarios for using such a disk for me:
1. Fetish :)
2. The ability to quickly transfer large files, including multimedia - you can quickly throw out several freshly swap movies on the weekend, you can throw off the material from the camera and mount directly on the disk.
3. Very convenient connection To the phone without any applications, we take at least twenty films on the road, connect the cord and copy to the phone from the disk. See
4. The ability to throw materials to the phone from the action chamber, and after - to transfer them to this disk from the phone. And free the place on the camera memory card, without a clogging phone.
5. If necessary - safe transfer Sensitive information at the expense of high-speed encryption of files on the fly. Encryption algorithm is very reliable.

At the same time, we have from additional points in addition to speed:
1. Instant response without friezes due to promotion plates, as on portable HDD
2. Correspondence of the speed promised
3. The ability to always have a disk with yourself by extremely low weight
4. Ability to work with a disc on weight when it hangs on its own wire. With HDD such jokes are not good
5. Single lace with a mobile phone
6. If something happens to the disk controller, you can disassemble and get the MSATA disk and not to lose the data (unless of course the disk was unencrypted)
7. Appearance and weight.

Of the minuses:
1. High price
2. Heavy cables included. Compare by weight with the disk itself :) But the speed pulls out
3. No cover in the kit - adapted the case from headphones under this case
4. No guarantee
5. very high price

Well, the non-obvious plus - Mikhalkov neither the ruble from this disk did not receive in the form of "tax on the blanks".

I plan to buy +20. Add to favourites I liked the review +41 +62

With the new Samsung Portable SSD T5, the manufacturer corrected one of the most significant drawbacks of the previous model, now the data transmission is passed through the USB 3.1 Gen2 interface. It should provide significantly higher throughput. It will be interesting to see how the 2-TB drive will show himself in practice.

After the first model, the third was published, and now the fifth. This sequence chose Samsung for its external SSD. The first drive became, then the last spring was released. Now a portable SSD T5 has entered our test laboratory, which is very similar to the predecessor, but works on the updated data transfer standard.

In addition, with Portable SSD T5, the manufacturer switched to the newest TLC V-NAND memory standard. The new generation relies on 64 layers of memory, while T3 used 48 layers. As a result, on the previous area, you can install a much greater memory. However, this possibility of Samsung did not use, the storage capacity did not change.

Like the predecessor, Portable SSD T5 is available in four different versions Capacity. The top model has a capacity of 2 TB, three other options - 1 TB, 500 and 250 GB. Accordingly, the price variation is also very significant, from 849 euros to 139 euros. The average models are 429 and 229 euros. Unfortunately, in Russia the drives have not yet appeared. It is quite possible to assume the appearance of more capacious versions of T5 due to the new V-NAND memory, but the price will certainly be translated.

SAMSUNG T5 case

If the T1 was supplied in a plastic case, with the updated T3 model, everything changed, most of the housing began to be made from aluminum. In the case of T5, the transition to light metal is finished, Samsung has chosen a all-metal case. The weight of the drive is 51 g, dimensions - 74 x 57.3 x 10.5 mm, so such an SSD can be easily worn in jeans pocket. Compared with the direct predecessor T5, it was a little already, but the difference does not reach even 1 mm.

The case is available in two versions: black and blue. But the choice cannot be called completely free. Models with a smaller capacity of 250 and 500 GB are available in blue color, and two high-end versions - in black.

As for the connection, you can only use the Type C interface, nothing else does not provide any SAMSUNG T5 drive. It was not added that a small LED, which signals the operation of the disc.

If you plan to carry 2 TB with you in your pocket, then you should pay attention to Samsung T5. According to Samsung, the drive withstands the fall from a height of 2 m, although everything depends on the surface here - yet the all-metal case will probably suffer.

SAMSUNG T5 software

In the case of T3, the software was recorded on SSD. Samsung reworked it, but the basic functions remained the same: the utility can read the specifications of the drive, update the firmware and set encryption. The latter is performed according to the AES / 256 BIT standard. As in the case of the predecessor, the Android application is available.

SAMSUNG T5 performance

Ultimately, it all depends on performance. It has increased compared to the predecessor, which is not surprising. But the reason here lies not in the data storage technology, but in the connection protocol. At the time of the announcement of Portable SSD T3, it was clear that USB 3.1 Gen1 would be a "bottleneck" - there were questions why Samsung did not switch to the Gen2 standard?

In our samsung portable SSD T5 tests showed good performancecorresponding to the claimed level of samsung. For reading we received more than 500 MB / s, and on the record, the compact SSD showed good results. In ATTO and ChrystaldiskMark tests, the sequential recording speed reached 500 MB / s, but in AS SSD we got a different picture.

It is also clear that performance with small files is significantly less than the consistent transmission rate. At the same time, Samsung T5 pretty quickly reaches maximum speed. Already with 64-KB blocks, we get the speed of reading and writing 500 MB / s.

Conclusion

Last year came out previous version SAMSUNG portable SSD T3 drive, after which there were talk about "manual brake" in the form of the USB 3.1 Gen1 interface. Samsung has now added speeds with USB 3.1 Gen2 interface, so the T5 performance turned out to be quite at the level. Such progress can not be called revolutionary, but we do not see anything bad in this.

The case is still compact and convenient, the quality does not cause complaints. Samsung chose a solid metal case design, which also improves overall impression. So T5 will become an excellent choice if you need to transfer large amounts of data. Software encryption offered by samsung is useful.

Technically samsung uses modern memory TLC V-NAND with 64 layers. Performance is at a very worthy level. With consistent reading and recording, we received more than 500 MB / s. In addition, T5 shows convincing performance when working with small files - it increases rather quickly.

In general, Samsung Portable SSD T5 can be called first-class mobile SSD. The design of the storage device is compact, the performance is quite decent. All this allows you to give the award "Excellent Iron".

Benefits of Samsung Portable SSD T5:

Disadvantages of samsung portable SSD T5:

• High price

My experience in using external drives began at school with a Bulgarian 5.25-inch floppy disk, purchased in a cooperative store in times when I was not yet personal computer. More precisely, he was, but mine, albeit the branded ZX Spectrum did not have a drive. It was the opportunity to touch the world high technologies In the late 80s and emotions related to that purchase, I still remember. The next time I experienced the same strong emotional shock when my birthday friends presented the first USB flash drive in my life. It was about 2004 and its container was 128 megabytes. And here in this long history came the next stage - the first acquaintance with the new generation of data carriers is an external SSD volume of 1 terabyte. Which affects the imagination with its dimensions, data transfer speed and use capabilities with computers, smartphones and TVs.

My experience in using external drives began at school with a Bulgarian 5.25-inch floppy disk, purchased in a cooperative store during the time when I had no personal computer yet. More precisely, he was, but mine, albeit the branded ZX Spectrum did not have a drive. It was an opportunity to touch the world of high technologies in the late 80s and emotions associated with that purchase, I remember until now. The next time I experienced the same strong emotional shock when my birthday friends presented the first USB flash drive in my life. It was about 2004 and its container was 128 megabytes. And here in this long history came the next stage - the first acquaintance with the new generation of data carriers is an external SSD volume of 1 terabyte. Which affects the imagination with its dimensions, data transfer speed and use capabilities with computers, smartphones and TVs.

What is it?

On the benefits of solid-state drives (SSD) are already known to all. They are less and easier than traditional hard drives. They have a lot of access speed. Thanks to them, for example, such a class of devices appeared like ultrabooks - all modern thin laptops Use the SSD. From disadvantages can only be called a higher price and theoretically final number of overwriting cycles that are able to withstand the items used by the NAND memory. In practice, I have never heard someone come across this problem. How does not face it when using the same NAND memory in conventional USB flash drives. Often SSD even relatively small volumes are installed in old laptops in order to obtain an increase in productivity and reduce loading speed by placing on them system files. Last years 15 We all waited for the appearance of external SSD drives at a reasonable price and, it seems, this time has come. Samsung T5 is the third series of external SSD manufacturer (for the first time SSD using this V-NAND technology was announced only 4 years ago). With each new series, their read / write speed grew. The series consists of four modifications of the drives with a capacity of 250 and 500 gigabytes (they are enclosed in the blue body) and the capacity of 1 and 2 terabyte (these are characterized by strict black).

What is included in the SAMSUNG T5

In the box with the drive, in addition to the documents are two USB cables. One - to connect to a computer, the second to the smartphone with a USB-C connector. On one hand, the "published" question arises - what to do with smartphones with a standard MicroUSB connector? On the other - in uSB-C smartphones It has been used for the second year, almost all the flagships of this year with him, and the buyer of such a drive is unlikely to be used to use an older or simpler smartphone with an old nest.

How small is the dimensions

Samsung T5 weighs only 51 grams with dimensions of 57x74x11 millimeters. Here for comparison its size next to not the largest external 2.5-inch HDD. In length it is less than business card or credit card.

Does it allow to protect the data?

Access to data on the SSD drive may be password is protected. The application for PC and Mac is initially in the memory of the drive. There is another version for Android smartphones. All that is able to do this application is authorizing the user and change the password if necessary or disable it. Without a password, only a section with distributions of the Samsung Portable SSD application are available. And all the data, according to the manufacturer, encrypt AES with a 256-bit key. This is how the work with the application for OS X looks like:

And so - the application for Android (the amount of available available is not displayed. disk space, otherwise all the same):

Initially, the disc is formatted in FAT32. If you need to copy large files (for example, movies in 4K, the volume of which is calculated in gigabytes), then you will have to reformat the means operating system In NTFS or (if you have Mac and you plan to use the drive to archive data using Time Machine) into a special Mac OS Extended format. By the way, format the disc can be used with the help of the Android smartphone, but in this case there will be FAT32 without options.

Especially for the mascodes: with Time Machine everything works fine:

How fast are the files copied?

The manufacturer declares speeds up to 540 megabytes per second. In practice, you can expect an exemplary indicator in a gigabyte in 2 seconds. For example, a 7-gigabyte file has copied 15 seconds.

In the synthetic test, read and record indicators slightly exceeded the level of 400 megabytes per second. In practice, you can completely burn the terabay disk about 17-20 minutes.

Question price

Of course, buying external SSD drives with a container in terabytes is still not cheap. But the younger models have already fully achieved the level of the mass market and the 250-gigabyte version costs less than 4,000 hryvnias, and a 500-gigabyte one and a half times more expensive. To explain the teapot on the fingers that you mean these gigabytes here's a comparative table. Of course, you need to understand that these data are relative, but they allow you to understand the overall picture. In the same way in practice you will not get a clean 500 gigabytes. In this place I will miss all these boring discussions about the fact that in 1 gigabyte actually 1024 megabytes, and not 1000. And part of the memory is occupied by software and data placed by the manufacturer. In real life, few people pay attention to this, although there is a certain convention in the calculations. And that's all about it worth knowing.

Comparison of external SSD. sAMSUNG series T5.
4K-video FullHD video photo price
2 TB 690 hours 1230 hours 680,000 pieces 23 999 UAH
1 TB 340 hours 610 hours 340,000 pieces 11 999 UAH
500 GB 170 hours 300 hours 170,000 pieces 5 999 UAH
250 GB 80 hours 150 hours 80,000 pieces 3,899 UAH

Who can use such a drive

We are increasingly and more often faced with the need to keep huge amounts of personal information and the desire to constantly have all her at hand. Remember how many photos and videos you shoot your smartphone. And the memory of the phones is not completely rubber. Therefore, such a miniature and fast drive can be useful as in home use (Photo archives, regular backups) and in professional activities. What are the photographers and video blocks! And add to this shooting drones and all these new-fashioned 360-degree pictures and the same 360-degree video! Memory cards will be filled very quickly. And you need to be able to quickly free them. At the same time, it is extremely desirable to do without a laptop, having done everything in the phone. For a professional photographer who knows not only money, but also the weight of a hiking backpack with an ever-growing number of all these lenses and accessories, change outdoor hard The disc on miniature external SSD of the same volume will be quite reasonable scenario. And there are service engineers who travel to customers to update software (hello, basic stations Operators mobile communicationswho are tens of thousands throughout the country).

In the dry residue

In recent years, we lived in anticipation of the turning point when SSD discs can replace HDD. In laptops, this happened a few years ago, now it's time to go to external miniature and speed SSD. Moreover, over the past years, our smartphones have changed very much, having received computer performance, as well as chambers whose capabilities do not cease to admire and allow to refuse to ordinary users from a digital camera. It can be said that the time of external SSD has already come and it is quite possible to look after them (well, or at least start writing letters to St. Nicholas) and buy. And herself, and friends, colleagues and relatives as a gift. For their capabilities, small sizes, light weight, high speed (gigabyte in 2 seconds, remember?), As well as for popularizing the technology, the SAMSUNG T5 series drives receive our editorial award "We recommend".

3 Reasons to Buy SSD-Drive Samsung T5

• need easy, small and fast external drive
  • the need to connect to the smartphone is critical
  • universal birthday present or the approaching New Year / Christmas

2 reasons not to buy SSD-drive Samsung T5

• old USB flash drive completely covers your need for an external drive
  • gigabyte cost for you is a critical factor

Ready to work at any time and anywhere

Take with you all the files for your work and entertainment. Portable SSD Drive T5 will provide you with simple and efficient access to your data array and you can make your work easily and quickly at any time and anywhere, even "on the go." Take your documents with you, large high-resolution images or visible and work with them on the way.

Take with you all the files for your work and entertainment. Portable SSD Drive T5 will provide you with simple and efficient access to your data array and you can make your work easily and quickly at any time and anywhere, even "on the go." Take your documents with you, large high-resolution images or visible and work with them on the way.

• * Samsung Electronics is not responsible for any damage, including data loss or other information stored on products. sAMSUNG. Electronics, as well as the loss of profits that the user can suffer.
  • * Samsung Electronics is not responsible for any damage, including data loss or other information stored on Samsung Electronics products, as well as the loss of profits that the user can suffer.
  • * Samsung Electronics is not responsible for any damage, including data loss or other information stored on Samsung Electronics products, as well as the loss of profits that the user can suffer.

Sometimes a drive is required to transfer large amounts of data between different systems. And the difficulty of choice arise: HDD does not always be an assistant due to mass, dimensions, speed and vulnerability to physical exertion, USB flash drives greater than 128 GB are usually already comparable to external sSD models, And the last of these shortcomings are devoid, although their price will arrange not all. But then the choice is already charged.

The external 500 GB SAMSUNG T5 Solid Solid State Drive was on testing, which is sold in the domestic retail at a price of ~ 12,000 rubles. How interesting is he in practice? We will try to find an answer to this question.

Small Preface-Makechast

As practice shows, not all users are oriented in the nuances of the USB interface, and the manufacturers themselves have completed additionally over the entanglement. Therefore, before proceeding with the consideration of the drive, we will carry out a small libez.

First, you need to figure out the USB interface versions:

• USB 2.0 - already outdated, but still present on motherboards desktop PCs and laptops interface (often only in the form of internal shoe connectors to which you still need to connect "pigtails" with connectors), provides the data transfer rate to 480 Mbps (in fact - something about 40 MB / s);
  • USB 3.0 is a more modern version that gives you the ability to transmit data at a speed of up to 5 Gb / s (by fact - about 400 MB / s), the ports of this interface will be found in the overwhelming majority of current PCs and laptops / netbooks;
  • USB 3.1 is an even more modern version of USB, until the last year of the last year, the data transfer rate was doubled to 10 Gbps (in fact - a little more than 800 MB / s);
  • USB 3.2 - Official release took place in September last year, in life it is still practically unrealistic in life, it is also promised to promise another doubling - up to 20 Gbit / s.

It seems to be simple? So no. After USB 3.1 appeared, USB Implementers Forum (essentially combining various companies like Apple, HP, Intel, Microsoft, Renesas Electronics and a number of other developers and manufacturers) was announced to renaming USB 3.0 to USB 3.1. And for their difference in the turn, the prefix "Gen 1" (for renamed USB 3.0) and "Gen 2" (for the new USB 3.1) were introduced.

This fact immediately used some companies for the release of new and reissue of old solutions on the logic of USB 3.0 (for it is cheaper), because ordinary ordinary users turned out to be not ready for such a focus. What to say if a number of companies in their internal labels, and even end products for users still use the designation "USB 3.0", for it is so easier.

The next moment is the types of connectors. Such is currently three: USB Type A, USB Type Micro-B and USB Type C. The first and third are found on many motherboards (including mobile devices), and the second on some external drives and docking stations.

For some reason, a number of users (perhaps due to novelty) have developed an erroneous stereotype that "Type C" is USB 3.1 Gen2. But this is in principle incorrect: even USB 2.0 can be caught in this design (on the same Aliexpress, such cables are found on sale), there are no restrictions on it. Here, for example, the rear interface panel of the maternal asus boards ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming, whose overview was published the other day:

Here are both regular USB 3.1 Gen2 is just the usual Type A (red ports), and single Type C is just one of the six USB 3.1 Gen1.

The following is the competition of USB flash drives and external SSD models. Ideologically, the first, and the second these are drives on flash memory. But it is SSD that usually use a more advanced hardware platform: more high-speed controllers, firmware with developed algorithms for work with flash memory, flash memory itself often higher quality gradation.

Plus, the usual SSD hardware platform receives the implementation of the SMART attributes and the ability to track the current storage status, and sometimes the temperature. Although there is a lot depends on the "correctness of the hands" at the creators of a particular SSD:

• By itself, the controller may not contain the temperature monitoring of the temperature and include the poor SMART (Hi Phon S11);
  • because of incorrect setting or the antiquity of the USB-SATA converter may not pass the Trim command needed by many drives to maintain full speed (if you talk about NTFS, for file System EXFAT in Windows Support Systems is not so far);
  • Sometimes the type of drive (HDD or SSD) may be invalid in the microcircuit firmware, which can lead to standard defragmentation on the operating system on such a device.

With regard to the last two items - "Fled Hi" Silicon Power Portable SSD BOLT B80, which at least some of the parties released contains both of these shortcomings.

However, constructively external SSD is usually built according to the "USB-SATA interface chip-converter chip-converter plus a regular SSD hardware platform". In other words, inside the case placed either printed circuit board-Parter with a converter controller in which the usual SSD MSATA or M.2 is inserted, or a single printed circuit board that bears all of the above.

As the result, the external SSD is larger than a regular USB flash drive and often connects through an additional cable. Therefore, a unambiguous answer to the question is that better - a USB flash drive or external SSD, no and in the near future is not foreseen.

SAMSUNG T5 review

In this ruler, four options are available: 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB. The interface of the message with the system - USB 3.1 Gen 2. The speed level is not specified, only "data transfer rate is up to 540 MB / s."

Physical performance - metal case with dimensions 74.0 x 57.3 x 10.5 mm. The color of the case depends on the volume: two younger options are painted in blue, two seniors - black. The increased mechanical stability of the drive is declared: Samsung T5 must withstand drop from a height of up to two meters. At the same time there is no moisture protection.

Packaging and equipment

The survey hero is supplied in a large seal box, inside which it is invested in a special "two-storey" form of plastic, where two other interface cables are placed in addition to the device itself. In addition, an information booklet is hidden in the box.

Both cables perform the same task, simply intended for different types of connectors: USB Type C USB Type C and USB Type C USB Type A. This way Samsung taking into account the moment that not all users have USB Type C (and such While most) and on their motherboards are implemented only USB Type A.

Visual inspection

The drive is made in a metal case, the dimensions of which 74.0 x 57.3 x 10.5 mm. The mass of SSD, as claims Samsung, is 51 g (it is not possible to check this number). There is no acute angle in the housing: it is rounded on the sides, the faces are roles. It is done to minimize possible risks, for example, a clothing tissue break when wearing a device in your pocket.

On one end is placed uSB port Type C and a hidden LED that blinks blue when working and flashes once red when it is possible to shut down, the model number, peak level of energy consumption is printed on the other. serial number and volume. By the way, the end plugs are made of plastic.

To disassemble, it is necessary to spare stickers from the end of the case: from the end side with the marking, it turns out to be removed the plug itself, but from the side of the connector, the twisting of two screws will allow you to remove the inner design.

On both sides, the drive covers the thermal interface, which with a metal part of the housing almost does not contact.

MARKING MZBLN500HAJQ does not say anything, but samsung s4ln062x01, samsung k90mgy8h5a and samsung k4e4e16 4eesgce are quite responsible for the question that in front of us: the Samsung MGX controller, 64-layer TLC 3D V-NAND SAMSUNG and 512 MB Low Power DDR3 is Samsung 850 EVO in its third reincarnation, made in the MSATA form factor.

The total volume of the flash memory array is 512 GB. Part it is standardly highlighted in a hidden reserve, and the volume itself is specified in the decimal system (1 GB is used to indicate the volume of 1,000,000,000, and not 1,073,741,824 bytes). Therefore, in reality, the user is available only about 465 GB, the remaining volume is used to increase the speed of the drive, in order to equalize wear, as a backup pool for replacing the failed memory cells and other service needs.

The solid-state drive is set to the adapter board based on the ASMEDIA ASM235CM controller.

And as we see, the developers have been safely, setting a chain of three capacitors with a capacity of 100 μF, which accumulate charge and thereby serve as a safety netting in case of an unexpected power off (the user has pulled the drive from the USB port without taking standard feature "Extract") - this charge should be enough for correct saving the relay table.

Samsung T5 is a direct heir to Samsung T3, the main differences are two: the transition from the 48-layer on 64-layer TLC 3D V-NAND crystals and the transducer controller with uSB support 3.1 Gen2 (Samsung T3 used Asmedia ASM1153). The first pursues a completely prosaic goal of reducing costs in production. The second is rather the image component. The fact is that the drive itself is still a SATA solution, and therefore the transition from Gen1 to Gen2 a significant speed gain simply will not give.

Did you like the article? Share it